Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Water weight vs. wine weight

Water weight vs. wine weight
by magnum on 11/12/02 at 12:11:51

I'm an amateur winemaker, about 100-200 gallons per year.  The average alcohol content is 13%, and alcohol is lighter than water.  I notice that water weighs approx 8.35 pounds per U.S. gallon.  So how much does a gallon of my wine weigh? :P

After further thought, I realized that I'd need to know the weight of ethanol (I haven't been able to find this info).  It probably would be important to know the temperature of the liquid as well (I keep it at about 60 degrees F).  We can discount the weight of the "solids" in the wine due to their miniscule amount.  I mean, how much does fruit fly feces weigh, anyway?  Regardless, the original question is still valid. :)

Re: Water weight vs. wine weight
by Robert Fogt on 11/17/02 at 04:01:50

You have tools to measure the specific gravity or the density of the wine right?  With those measurments you can easily create volume to weight conversions.

Water has a specific gravity of 1.0, which means that 1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram.

If something has a specific gravity of 1.5 then that means that 1 liter would weigh 1.5 kilograms.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate