Home

Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

A question?

A question?
by chronic on 10/11/03 at 21:13:31

I'm trying to figure out how much weight or pressure my bicycles brake mounts are exposed too. A while back I ripped them off my frame and recently had them re-welded.

If you could help me out that would be wonderful.
Here are a bunch of stats about my bike. It weighs about 32 pounds. It's length if this matters is 5 foot 7 inchs. I have 26 inch tires and my rear brake pad sits exactly one inch away from the brake mount.
I weight about 140-145 pounds.
I have no idea how I could figure out exactly how much force is put on my brake mounts whilst I hope around on my rear tire.
Thank you for your time.

Re: A question?
by chronic on 10/18/03 at 16:52:54

So...No pondering towards a possible answer...

by Robert Fogt on 10/19/03 at 23:36:18

I am at a loss.

I would have assumed there is very little pressure when you hop on your back tire. I didn't think there should be any up/down pressure, just forward pressure when you stop.

by chronic on 10/20/03 at 10:38:16

Well i mean of course there will be a bunch of force put on your brake mounts whilst going forwards, same with going backwards. I dont often ride backwards. I only say for your sake because while I hop around on my rear tire it is usually putting my weight backwards against the brake mount. I was just curious if you had any ideas as to how much weight exactly would be put on those mounts due to the fact that I had them rewelded and I certainly dont want to go out of their boundaries and end up on my ass haha.
If not, no problem. I've been riding on the machine for nearly a week now and nothing horrible has happened. If I seemed impatient/hostile, I apologize. That was when this first happened and as I said, I wasn't wanting to over due my riding and get hurt.
If I haven't already mentioned this, This is an awesome idea for a site. I really wish I would have known about it while I was still in school. Could have come in handy, oodles of times.  ;)

by Robert Fogt on 10/20/03 at 15:04:55

Might be able to come up with a formula for momentum, calculate all the weight you have on it, how high you jump, etc.

But that wouldn't tell how much backwards/forwards torque is on the tire while hopping. And how much force the welds will hold is a tough one too.

Though if you're not sure, probably a good idea to keep your helmet and pads on in case they break.  :)

by chronic on 10/21/03 at 22:57:41

Good call haha.  ;)

Go Back | Archive Index

Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate