Home

Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Sound conversions

Sound conversions
by Charles Lhota on 11/27/04 at 09:02:35

I was looking at two kinds of speakers for Christmas and I couldn't decide between the Logitech, which suprisingly got the highest rating by Maximum PC, or the Klipsch, which always have exceptional sound quality. So I wanted to decide on which was louder, but the Logitech ones say it has a 500 watt output, and the Klipsch say a 108 decibel (dB) output, which ones are louder? >:( ???

Re: Sound conversions
by Robert Fogt on 11/27/04 at 11:04:06

The formula is:

dB = 10 log[sub]10[/sub](P[sub]input[/sub]/P[sub]output[/sub])

The formula requires the input power, so to determine the amount of gain.

by Charles on 11/27/04 at 12:41:24

Thanks, I put all that in my calculator and it had an aneurysm, so I re-checked the site and it said that the logitech have a 115 dB output, so now I was only wondering whether I should spend $249.96 on 7 extra decibels, sure the Logitech got good ratings and have too many features for words, but is it relally worth it?

by Robert Fogt on 11/27/04 at 15:23:08

The decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning an increase in 10 db is actually 10 times louder. An increase of 20 db is actually (10 * 10) 100 times louder.

Thats hard to imagine, I know, but that is how it is defined. An increase of 7 dB is more than you think it would be.

by albert on 12/03/04 at 11:21:20

Output of a speaker greatly depends on the efficiency of it's speakers and filters.
If you have a 100 watt box with 25% efficiency it will be louder than the same box with 10% efficiency.

At higher outputs sound distortion wil be noticable with poor speaker systems.

Go Back | Archive Index

Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate