Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Reciprocal ohms or mhos

Reciprocal ohms or mhos
by Paul Greville on 02/08/05 at 11:26:27

I searched the site and could not find the conversion between reciprocal ohms or mhos and siemens.  Does anyone know the conversion? Thanks, Paul.

Re: Reciprocal ohms or mhos
by Robert Fogt on 02/08/05 at 14:35:55

The mho and the siemens are the same.

mho = siemens

The difference lies only where they are used. The mho being used for circuits with self-inductance as well as resistance.

by Robert Fogt on 02/08/05 at 14:38:12

And I added that to my to-do list. I am a bit behind but I will have that up eventually.

by Matthew Gibson on 06/11/05 at 18:23:43

I wanna Know More about mhos!
???

by Matthew Gibson on 06/11/05 at 18:25:55

:PI ment now

by Robert Fogt on 06/12/05 at 02:25:06

I have found the following definitions on the University of North Carolina website.

[b]mho[/b]
an older name for the siemens, which is defined to be the reciprocal of the ohm. In case you didn't notice already, "mho" is "ohm" spelt backwards.

[b]siemens (S)[/b]
the SI unit of electric conductance, susceptance, and admittance. The most important property of a conductor is the amount of current it will carry when a voltage is applied. Current flow is opposed by resistance in all circuits, and by also by reactance and impedance in alternating current circuits (see ohm). Conductance, susceptance, and admittance are the inverses of resistance, reactance, and impedance, respectively. To measure these properties, the siemens is the reciprocal of the ohm. In other words, the conductance, susceptance, or admittance, in siemens, is simply 1 divided by the resistance, reactance or impedance, respectively, in ohms. The unit is named for the German electrical engineer Werner von Siemens (1816-1892). See also mho.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate