Home

Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

RPM to G Unit

RPM to G Unit
by Ken Myers on 04/28/05 at 13:12:11

Is there a way of converting revolutions per minute to G units?

Re: RPM to G Unit
by Robert Fogt on 04/29/05 at 02:33:36

There probably is a way, though I have no idea how that would be.

g is a unit of acceleration, and RPM is a unit of angular velocity.

So there is no direct conversion, but I think its possible with additional unknowns. Hopefully another visitor can answer your question.

by Gabriel on 05/09/05 at 17:03:16

I've just made the calculation while writting this, so check it for possible errors:

Summary:
LF = 1/893.6 * N^2/r * (min^2/m)
where:
LF is the load factor (i.e. the ratio of the actual acceleration to the acceleration due to the gravity)
N is the angular speed in rev/min (RPM)
r is the radius in meters of the circle the particle is describing.
And the factor min^2/m will make the whole thing unitsless as it should (because it is a ratio of two accelerations).

Calculation:

The radial acceleration of a particle describing a circular arc is:

a=w^2*r
acceleration = angular speed squared / radius

a is acceleration in [distance/time^2]
w (omega) is angular speed in [1/time^2] units

Be careful in using consistent units.

w is 1/time, where 1 is "radians" (dimensionless angular unit), so it can be radians per seconds, per minutes, etc.
One turn = 2*pi radians, so if we call N the angular speed in [rev/time] units we have w=N*2*pi

g is the acceleration of a free falling object due to the gravity. The acceleratin measured as the number of g's that a body is subject to is ussually called load factor (ussually N, but let's let's call it LF because we already used N for the angular speed in rev/time). LF=a/g is an actual acceleration divided by a reference accelration (g), so LF is dimensionless. So we have a=LF*g.

Putting all this together we get:
LF*g=(2*pi*N)^2/r, since (2*pi)^2=39.48:
LF=(39.48*N^2/r)/g

Now all you have to do is use consistent units in N, r and g. For example, using the metric system we will take time in seconds (so N will be in [rev/s]) and the distance in meters, so the radius will be in [m] and g in [m/s^2], more precisely g=9.8 m/s^2.

Finally, if you want N in rev/min (i.e. RPM) you only have to take into account that 1 second=1/60 minutes, so g will be g=9.8 m/s^2=9.8 m/(1/60min)^2=9.8*3600 m/min^2=35280 m/min^2. So just be carful to put N in RPM and the radius in meters and you get

LF=(39.48*N^2/r)/35280 m/min^2

LF = 1/893.6 * N^2/r * (min^2/m)
where:
LF is the load factor (i.e. the ratio of the actual acceleration to the acceleration due to the gravity)
N is the angular speed in rev/min (RPM)
r is the radius in meters of the circle the point is describing.
And the factor min^2/m will make the whole thing unitsless as it should (because it is a ratio of two accelerations).

by Robert Fogt on 12/13/05 at 08:18:34

I was sent this URL here:
http://www.msu.edu/~venkata1/gforce.htm

Go Back | Archive Index

Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate