Home

Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

conversion question

conversion question
by Erica on 05/19/05 at 10:03:51

Is it possible to convert foot-pounds and inch-pounds to pounds?  

Re: conversion question
by Robert Fogt on 05/20/05 at 01:09:34

That depends. Could you provide more information as to exactly what you are trying to do?

As a unit of torque, 1 foot pound is the force of 1 pound applied 1 foot from the fulcrum.

As a unit of work or energy, it is the force of 1 pound acting through a distance of 1 foot.

So they are related, just not directly.

Foot-pounds, inch-pounds convert to pounds
by Erica on 05/24/05 at 11:24:35

Thank you for the response.  I use an exercise machine with patients that measures in foot-pounds or inch-pounds.  My patients are always asking me how much weight am I exercising with in pounds.  For example, on the cervical machine I could be using 390 inch-pounds for the exercise and the patient will ask, how many pounds am I lifting with my neck.  Any further response is greatly appreciated, have a great day!

Re: conversion question
by Robert Fogt on 05/24/05 at 15:20:45

If you are lifting 1 foot pound, you are performing the same amount of work as lifting 1 pound a distance of 1 foot.

If you are lifting 390 inch pounds, you are performing the same amount of work as lifting 1 pound a distance of 390 inches, or 390 pounds a distance of 1 inch.

You can divide by 12 to get feet. 390/12 = 32.5

If you are lifting 390 inch pounds you are performing the same amount of work as if you are lifting 32.5 pounds a distance of 1 foot, or 1 pound a distance of 32.5 feet.

But keep in mind this is the amount of work you are performing. Lifting 1 pound a distance of 5 feet will feel lighter than lifting 5 pounds a distance of 1 foot, but you'd be performing the same amount of work.

Go Back | Archive Index

Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate