Home

Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Parts in cocktail measurements

Parts in cocktail measurements
by _mark_ on 08/13/05 at 17:19:46

Can anyone tell me if when a cocktail recipe refers to a "part" of something does this just mean the ratio? I thought this but I have found many cocktails that require the equal amount of liquids but the parts isn't 1. For example a white russian (as descirbed on the back of a bottle of kalua) is made up of 1 1/2 parts kalua, 1 1/2 parts vodka and topped with milk or cream. If it just means the same amount of vodka as kalua then why doesn't it simply say 1 part of each?! I have searched the internet and cannot find the answer so maybe one of you guys know the answer! So is a "part" a specific number of mililitres?

Many thanks,

Mark

Re: Parts in cocktail measurements
by Robert Fogt on 08/14/05 at 01:38:18

In bartending, 1 part is any equal part. It is not any specific amount.

So 1 1/2 parts of one thing and 1 1/2 parts of another means equal parts of each.

I have no idea why they didn't just say 1 part of each. Maybe the recipe used to have additional ingredients and they just didn't change the others when they removed it.

Check out the Webtender here:
http://www.webtender.com/handbook/measurements.html

Re: Parts in cocktail measurements
by scottrlas on 08/22/05 at 11:54:53

I tended bar for almost 15 years and the measurments are as Robert says equal, but...
The 1 1/2 parts is refering to a standard measure of booze or 1 shot glass which is 1 1/2 oz's.   Added together is 3 oz's of booze plus ice and a dash of cream on top will fill your average rocks glass (6oz).  

If you're into using a larger glass, say 8-12 oz's, the "equal parts" measure will then apply.   Remember, always drink responsibly.

Go Back | Archive Index

Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate