Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Wind - MPH to PSI ??

Wind - MPH to PSI ??
by 1GrumpyDude on 09/14/05 at 17:58:21

Can anyone tell me how (or if) to convert wind speed in MPH to pressure in PSI. ??

Thanks for any help.
;D

Re: Wind - MPH to PSI ??
by Robert Fogt on 09/15/05 at 01:03:12

It might be possible, depending on your specifics.  Could you provide more details?

Is this wind speed versus force on buildings? I think I have a few links that will help you calculate that.

by 1GrumpyDude on 09/15/05 at 09:40:04

Yes - That's one way to look at it........

Force on a wall or really any stationary object that I can determine area.

Thank you

by Robert Fogt on 09/15/05 at 19:21:27

Check out the forum archive page here:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/forum/forum_1124661957.htm

It contains a couple great links for calculating wind speed and force on buildings.

by 1GrumpyDude on 10/06/05 at 13:13:49

Robert - been on the road.  Thank you for the information.   If any one else is interested, I also found some very good info from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

by NormD on 10/06/05 at 17:28:29

You really can't, at least not by multiplying by a conversion factor, like MPH to km/hour.  The force on an object is going to depend on many things, not just cross sectional area.  In effect there is a drag coefficient involved, not to mention density of the medium.  There probably are empirical formulas for different things in an wind, such as a house, commercial building, wall or other structure.  In a past life I/we tested to determine drag (force) on an object in another fluid (which is what air is) in a tow tank, varying depth (interaction with the surface affects the result), pitch, roll and yaw, basic shape, etc. to get the coefficients to use in mathematical models for determining forces acting on the object in simulations.

The web site references in another post were not working when I tried them.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate