Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

centipoise

centipoise
by shane morgan on 09/27/05 at 16:03:31

How do you convert time in seconds into centipoise?

Re: centipoise
by Robert Fogt on 09/28/05 at 05:44:50

centipoise is a unit of dynamic viscosity, which is the force required to move a layer of liquid with respect to another layer. It does not take time into account.

Are you trying to convert from some sort of flow meter? If you can provide more information as to exactly what you are trying to do, I may be of more help.

by SHANE MORGAN on 10/04/05 at 12:10:33

I'm trying to check the viscosity for an oil temperature bath. The directions I have are:

To stabilize the fluid @ 75 deg F

Fully submerge the cup portion of the viscosimeter in the oil.

using the ring attached to the top portion of the viscosimeter, lift the viscosimeter completely out of the oil while starting the timer when the top edge of the cup breaks the surface of the oil.

Stop the timer when the steady oil flow from the cup stops. Record the time in seconds.

convert the time (in seconds) into centipoise

convert centipoise value to centistoke value using the following equation:
centipoise value divided by specific gravity of oil = centistroke value

by Robert Fogt on 10/07/05 at 22:48:57

That is beyond me. I have no idea how you would do that.

Perhaps you should try contacting the manufacture of the viscosimeter, as they may have forgotten to include the conversion chart with your meter.

It is probably possible to convert between the two, but it would be specific to your type of meter.

by XLXRider on 10/08/05 at 18:03:54

You should have received a sheet with the vis cup... Paul N. Gardner Co. can help you with that, just give them a call and tell them you need the documentation for a #2 Zahn E-Z, or whatever cup it is you've purchased.  The math is basically the same for any efflux cup (Ford, Fisher, Zahn, Sears, etc.)  Additionally, there should be instructions with the calibration oil (you DID get some calibration oil, didn't you??) that will help.  Note that the cal oil will have an expiration date on it, and instructions for storage.  Your company's QC department should be able to help you with ASTM documentation for dip-cup technique; with practice, you will be repeatable and reproducible (on a low-vis material that is not too thixotropic) to 0.1 second per "pull."  Note, too, that you're dealing with a Newtonian fluid with oil, that is, one that is relatively unaffected by shear.
Good luck.
Regards,
XLXRider

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate