Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

How many gallons is my 2 1/2 foot tank?

How many gallons is my 2 1/2 foot tank?
by Charlotte Blackett on 10/10/05 at 11:52:26

Hi all :)

I was wondering if you could help me out with the size of my fish tank

I'm about to buy one that is [b]2 1/2 foot[/b], with all of the things in it, rocks, plants, pump for [b]150 pounds[/b]

[glow=red,2,300]Do you think it is worth it and how many gallons is it? ???[/glow]

Thanks so much!!! :D

Re: How many gallons is my 2 1/2 foot tank?
by Robert Fogt on 10/10/05 at 20:25:56

We would need to know both the length, width, and height of it.

Volume = Length * Width * Height

Though make sure all units are the same, such as feet. If you measure the length in feet then you need to measure the height and width in feet also.

Length in feet * Width in feet * Height in feet = Volume in cubic feet

Length in inches * Width in inches * Height in inches = Volume in cubic inches.

Then just use the volume conversion page to convert to gallons.

by Grace Weir on 11/08/05 at 07:32:04

Can you tell me how many gallons my tank holds?

It measures 12" tall x 12"wide x 8"depth.

Thank you!

by Robert Fogt on 11/11/05 at 02:14:55

12 inches * 12 inches * 8 inches = 1728 cubic inches

1728 cubic inch = 7.48 U.S. gallon

So just about 7 and 1/2 gallons.

by tony2kuk on 11/19/05 at 05:07:31

As you know its vital to find the EXACT volume of water in your tank in case in future you need to add medication(usually applied mg/l or ml/l often with little room for error).   The addition of rocks, sand, gravel makes the normal hight*width*depth calculation worthless.  The only way is to measure the water as you fill the tank(sorry this means a hose pipe is out of the question) Don't forget to mark the water level on the side of the tank to  make water changes easier.
If it is not brand new I suggest discarding the plants and sterilising the tank and all equipment first then restocking gradually.  Remember the number of fish is determined more by surface area than total volume. don't forget even a small tank like that will weigh a lot so put a sheet of expanded polystyrene between the glass and stand. As for the price it sounds ok but check you can get spare parts for the pump easily.  Personally I would not touch this tank with a barge pole as its too small and will be difficult to manage water quality, you are very limited to the range of fish you can keep.   No matter how big your tank you will always want a bigger one ;)  If you do buy it stick with nitrate/nitrite hardy fish like goldsh, guppys etc.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate