Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Milligrams to teaspoons - possible?

Milligrams to teaspoons - possible?
by Jaye23 on 07/19/01 at 04:58:57

I have some powdered meds to give to my cats and the instructions are 10 mg per pound of bodyweight per day.

??

Can this be converted into teaspoons??  I can't figure out how to measure the powder by millegrams.

Re: Milligrams to teaspoons - possible?
by Robert Fogt (Guest) on 07/19/01 at 07:55:23

That is a common question asked, I have made a FAQ page for it here:

[url]http://www.onlineconversion.com/faq_03.htm[/url]

Sorry I can't be of more help, there is just no easy way to do it without weighing it to find out.

by padriac (Guest) on 10/28/01 at 12:17:15

5ml is 1 teaspoon.mg. should =mls. ask a pharmacist he will know for sure

by Rclawson (Guest) on 11/01/01 at 06:36:22

Please note that the previous reply suggested that mg = mL.  This is not true. Assuming that the medicine had a density of 1.0 g/mL, then the 5 mL dose would provide 5,000 mg per teaspoon.  Powder density is typically much less than that of water (1.0 g/mL).  Values range from 0.2 - 0.5 for fine powders.

by ed on 11/23/01 at 17:55:18

Take the powder to a pharmacist and ask to have it weighed into 10 mg doses by dilution with glucose or make 10 mg capsules.  This will not be free ($) Ten milligrams is a very miniscule dose and impossible to weigh on a triple beam balance that most pharmacies have.  Minimum accurate weight is about 112 mg.  One would need an electronic laboratory balance for that small an amount.  That was an improper dosing method by the supplier

by Robert Fogt (Guest) on 11/24/01 at 23:38:59

I've never really understood why suppliers don't include volume measurements with their powders.

Do they assume that everybody has a scale at home? Or do they not care and leave it to the doctor to convert the weight to volume?

Most everybody has teaspoons and even small measuring cups in their kitchen. Very few people have scales.

by dalewyatt on 02/09/02 at 09:56:14

I have the same problem 10 milligrams how many
fractions of a teaspoon

Jayne23 if you found the answer
please post back and let us know

by JeffreyLloyd on 03/30/04 at 14:19:42

bump

and why are you listed as a guest Robert?

by Robert Fogt on 03/30/04 at 18:04:24

That post was from awhile ago when I had the old version of the message forum software. The old datafiles were not completely compatible with the new version, which is why it listed me as a guest.

All the new posts should be OK, just most of the old ones are not.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate